Sunday, January 24, 2010

Our Seduction

First John 1:8,10

We all have a tendency to seduce ourselves. The seduction I speak of is the act of denying that our sin is actually sin, or brushing it aside as being petty, small, or insignificant. This thinking leads us away from the Truth (seducing us), allowing us to think that we aren’t as bad as we really are. The more we insulate ourselves from the truth of our sinfulness the easier it is to sin again, allowing sin to weave its way through our lives like yeast through a batch of dough. Denial can also lead to strongholds in our life due to repetitive sinfulness. It is the small things that get us into trouble and cause us to drift away from God. As we drift away, we lose the Truth.

First John 1:9

Perhaps it is pride that causes us to deny our sinfulness. Maybe it’s the guilt (spiritual pain) that we can’t face. It could be complacency or laziness. Whatever the reason, the antidote is prayer. We should all be praying, every day. Confessing our sin. Asking God to show us the sin that we don’t even realize is there, so that we can repent even of IT. I’ve been doing that recently and He has been showing me my true, ugly self. I don’t like it, but it’s what I need. And I know this unsavory medicine is exactly what is needed so He can transform me into what He desires. One thing He promises is that He is faithful and just to forgive our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. In that Promise I take great comfort!

Take time to ask God to reveal to you the things that displease Him today – It will bring a refreshing to your soul and spirit, and yes, even your body, that you can hardly imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment